RE: X10 central heating control

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: X10 central heating control
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 12:31:28 -0000

Depends on how much money you want to spend and what control system you intend using.

Personally I would not rely on a PC to do this as there are just way too many things can go wrong, not least of which is a total catastrophic failure and that worries me when considering using a PC for this purpose.

My solution involved a bit of money and since I already had HV it was not a great hassle to do what I did.

I had an old timer that was a mains voltage switch in effect, one switch to switch the heat pump/boiler and one to switch the boiler to heat water for the HW tank. Currently an RCS stat controls the heating via a relay mounted in the location of the old timer alongside an AD10 the controls the HW supply. You could of course get HV to do this directly without the need for an RCS stat and save £200+, but I thought it was worth it for the fail-safe option of having either HV or the RCS stat as backup in case of a failure, to do this all you would need is a few DS1820 sensors dotted about in strategic positions telling HV what the temperature was.

I did write up a review of this for Mark but he never posted it up L

Now I can run events on the heating based on occupancy or ambient inside/outside temperature and next year I’m fitting a combi-boiler so it should have a major revision at that point as many of these are internally switched at 24V or simple mains switching from a room stat.

As for “zoned” heating I was speaking to my next door neighbour about this, who just happens to be a dedicated heating engineer and not a plumber as such, and he recommends using the 22mm motorised valves to control entire zones as they are cheaper and more reliable that 15mm ones, he also said that to control in this way was unwieldy and unnecessary in 99/100 cases. Add to this the fact that if you mount one of these at a rad. inlet and it’s damned ugly you begin to see the logic of it! The bigger valve can be installed under the flooring out of site and out of mind. I did price these valves as City Plumbing carry them as stock but I forgot what the price was and I also forgot to look out the catalogue again…D’OH!

K.