RE: Shutdown

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Shutdown
  • From: "Graham P. Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 20:33:37 -0000

I have had similar problems here with windows XP which I have recently
installed on three machines. What I've found is that it is necessary for
the bios to be set for ACPI before the operating system is installed. On
my motherboards (various models from Abit) this was all set through the
bios settings but with some of them it was necessary to flash to the
latest bios version to get the option. Once ACPI is set, then the
operating system will automatically install it correctly. I have never
tried to update an already installed system to have ACPI, but a search
on Google shows this:

Basically you can do it ! But it is dangerous ! Backup your data before
!
Start Setup from CD or run WINNT32.EXE (also on CD) from W2k. When
prompted
to press F6 press F5 (yes: F5!) and select an ACPI-compatible PC. Do the
whole installation. Usually it does just an update and all your settings
and
software are/is kept.

You might want to try this, but don't blame me if it fails! Also
remember that you must have ACPI compliant bios installed and the option
enabled within the bios before doing this. There was a shareware program
I had that could shut down machines across the network, but I can't
remember the name or where I got it, probably it was through another
search on Google. Since rebuilding all my machines in the past two weeks
I have not got round to installing all the 'little applications' that
you tend to pick up over time.

Regards

Graham