-----Original Message-----
From: milkman_ohk [mailto:david.paterson@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 11 December 2001 13:02
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxxSubject: [ukha_d] Re: X10 central heating control

--- In ukha_d@y..., "James Hoye" <james.hoye@s...> wrote:

> Once you have an understanding of what system/configuration you
have, it
> becomes a little easier as the basic concept is pretty much the
same and
> usually open to automation.  The simplist approach would be if you
have a
> programmable timer somewhere - these usually switch a HW and CH
circuit
> (either at 230v or sometimes 12 or 24v) and are the place to
start.  Some
> systems only allow HW or HW _and_ CH (ie. not CH on its own) - so
beware!

I've been looking at this area too, since I've been getting my
heating system upgraded.  I'd planned to do most of it myself, but
not having done any plumbing before I got a local guy in to do all
the radiators, zone valves etc.

The controller, as somebody said, is just a fancy time switch.  All
the "intelligence" is hard wired into the circuits through the
thermostats and zone valves - very ingenious stuff!

Anyway, the heating and water are simply switched on by a 230V line
from the controller, so I should be able to put a couple of appliance
modules in parallel with them for computerised control.

The controller can be left as a backup in case of failure, or can do
most of the running, with the AM's used for frost prevention.  I
haven't decided exactly how I'll set it up yet, but it has a lot of
possibilities.

David P.

This message is confidential and intended for the exclusive
use of the addressee(s) only and remains the property of
Exchange FS Group plc. You should not disclose its contents
to any other person. If you are not the intended recipient
please notify the sender named above immediately.

Registered Office: Munro House, Portsmouth Road, Cobham,
Surrey, KT11 1TE. Registered in England No. 2596452