Re: X10 central heating control

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: X10 central heating control
  • From: "steevc" <steevc@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 12:36:11 -0000

Currently my heating is controlled by a basic 7 day timer. All that
seems to be is a relay which tells the boiler to turn on/off. All the
clever stuff such as the thermostat is connected to the boiler.

In that case I would expect it could be replaced by an X10 appliance
module controlled by Comfort/Homevision or even just the X10 timer
unit.

In our new house it will be a little more complicated as there may be
2 zones so some motorised valves may come into play. By connecting
the thermostats to the control unit there could be some clever
switching so that the heating comes on earlier when it's colder. I
know there are dedicated units to do this, but they seem expensive. I
was planning to just use Comfort if possible.

I'd like to keep mine simple enough so that the X10s could be easily
replaced by standard timers in case a future buyer is scared by any
fancy automation.

Steve

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Stainton-James, Mark (London)"
<stainmar@e...>
wrote:
> Scott,
>
> I have the same requirement, I was thinking along the lines of
taking apart
> a cheap control unit and seeing if something can be done with a
universal
> module.  At the end of the day the controller is just a complex
timer
> switch.
>
> Mark

sophisticated?