Barter proposal

  • To: "UKHA List (E-mail)" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Barter proposal
  • From: "Graham P. Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 09:19:04 -0000

I know that there are lots of different skills on this list and so I
thought I would make the following proposal and see what, if anything,
happens.

I have a home network that is based on a SBS 2000 server and XP Pro,
Win9x, WinNT, ePOD clients. I have an ISDN connection to my fixed rate
ISP (V21) with a router handling the calls. I use SQL server and
Exchange server on the SBS box. Everything works, but not well. I think
a lot of my problems are in some way related to DNS and IP routing, but
I could well be wrong (I am no network expert). I want to sort out
things like workstation connection delays, error messages in the event
logs, unnecessary dialling of my ISP, roaming profiles, backup, DDAR
server as a service and probably some stuff I haven't even thought of.
All of this is probably quite straightforward for a MS network expert,
but it is just too steep a learning curve for me at the moment and I
never have the time to sort it out.

So, I thought, why not get an expert in for a day or two to help me sort
it all out once and for all. Well the obvious reason is cost, you all
know what my income situation has been for the majority of this year.
Next I thought, do I have anything to offer as a swap? I did consider
paying for someone's time in ePODs or DDARs, but I am still desperately
trying to hold on to them for my own use. Next I thought about my
experience and this is what I came up with:

- web design, especially ASP based sites with SQL server database
interaction

- web hosting, I have a server with permanent connection located with my
ISP (U-Net) that runs IIS4 and SQL Server 7

- CAT5 cabling, I have put a lot of CAT5 in to this house

- impressive tool collection (ooer missus!), I have RJ45 crimps, Krone
punch down tools, CAT5 testers, 2-way radios (good in larger
installations), SDS drill, lots of cordless drills, routers (with
table), table saw, skill saw, pillar drill etc.

- knowledge of Homevision and Comfort (not as great as others on this
list, but I do have both installed here)

So, is there someone on the list who has the knowledge and the time to
sort out my network problems and in return would like to make use of my
skills/time/equipment for their project.

Regards

Graham