PIC <-> 1-wire

Guys,

A little off topic but one of my colleagues just showed me a book on pic
programming he brought last weekend and it has an example of how to make a
1-wire device using a PIC.  One simple example makes use of a 16F84
package.
As you probably all know this isnt my strongest skill but my mind is
working
overtime about avoiding the whole x10 issue with intelligent 1-wire devices
running off a pic.

Can anyone recommend a good pic programming starter kit or book?  Im sure
weve been down this road before so apologies for not taking a look at the
archive but im very excited hence i wanted to tell someone ;-)

Again apologies if you knew this already, I guess small things and small
minds and all that!

Thanks
kieran