Re: Fw: Understanding Comfort...

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Fw: Understanding Comfort...
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 16:19:21 +0000

>This zone thing that gets me - I just have a standard Comfort CPU - so
is
>1 PIR classed as taking up a spare zone, as is a fire sensor, as is the
IR
>repeater, as is the keypad, etc ?
>
>Zones as in the number of devices you can hang off of it ?

Not neccesarily - "zones" really equate to "inputs"
(and outputs
potentially) on your comfort system, so if you have the standard 16 inputs,
then you have 16 possible input zones. - each zone could have a single
sensor connected to it, which is preferable in many ways, as you can
identify an individual sensor trigger. Alternatively, you could connect
multiple sensors to a single zone, and when any one of the sensors fire the
zone would activate, - but you wouldn't be able to tell which individual
sensor had fired though.

That may not be a problem in some instances, - for example, I plan to add
magnetic sensors to all the opening windows in my bedroom (I have 4 windows
that open), but all 4 sensors will be commoned to a single cable going back
to the panel and connected to a single zone. I then plan to add a check to
my arming response to check the open/closed status of my bedroom windows,
and notify me if any are open. - it won't be able to tell WHICH of the 4
windows are open, but I really don't care about that, I just want to make
sure that ALL my windows are closed when I go out!

Any clearer?

Paul G.

(I agree that Comfort programming is FAR from easy or intuitive though!)

>I do have the config file for the system on my thinkpad as it happens.
>Would anyone be so kind as to take a look ? Are the security codes
exposed
>in the file (as clear text ?)
>
>Thanks all - maybe after owning it for a year I'll get round to
>understanding it ! If only it was as easy as networks !
>
>G.
>

>Gareth
>
>Comfort programming can be a bit of an art form.  If it is only the
>programming side you are after I sure we (The comfort user on the
group)
>can all help you out.  Probably the easiest way is to do this is to
down
>load all your settings into CS-Xpress and forward it out to those
willing
>to have a look together with a list of problems and what you are trying
>achieve.
>
>Personally I get Comfort to broadcast the PIR triggers by House code
O1-16
>then pick these up in HomeSeer which is easier and quicker to program.
>Obviously you have to have the zones and response set up correctly in
>order
>to do this.

>                     "Gareth Cook"
>                     <gcook@lotus.        To:     ukha_d@xxxxxxx
>
>                     com>                 cc:
>                     Sent by:             Subject:     Fw: [ukha_d]
>Understanding Comfort...
>                     "Gareth Cook"
>                     <g@xxxxxxx
>                     >

>                     05/12/01
>                     14:21
>                     Please
>                     respond to
>                     ukha_d
>

>My system is (currently - although not all working :-( )
>
>1 Comfort CPU
>
>3 PIR's (Lounge, Hall, Upstairs Landing area)
>
>Zones ? christ knows !
>
>No doorphones - pig ugly white thing - I sent it back. They haven't
come
>up
>with anything better yet....
>
>1 Keypad
>
>X10 stuff ? To be honest, I'd rather it sent logical codes out so
HomeSeer
>can pick them up - I can them detect them and program it easier via
that.
>But currently it flashes A2-5 on when the alarm goes off. A4 is one of
my
>lounge lights  - but every time the back/front door is opened and it's
>dark, it keep s turning A4 on....so I had to change the LD11 itself to
>A15.
>Drove me bananas that one.
>
>The UCM is at home - Andrew kindly sent me the wire parts, and I made
up
>the lead - the UCM is borrowed tho.
>
>Light sensor yes - is it in the best place ? One macro comfort has is
>turn on A5 when it's dark and hall movement. Except is had a life of it
>own, and would come on at 10am even with bright sunshine outside..
>
>IR - now THAT sums everything up. It's there, but cant be used. They
cant
>get it working. They don't know how, have spent too much time (they
don't
>think it's faulty - just cant program it) and want to take it off the
>invoice ! Andrew reckons they should talk to him, but
.....<sighs>

>On a side note - the guy who lent me the UCM asked a few days later if
I'd