Re: Re: How do I tell whether the phone's ringing?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Re: How do I tell whether the phone's ringing?
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 15:44:54 +0000

The modem should also send the RI (Ring Indicator) pin high when the phone
is rinnging, which is better than using the TX pin and trying to capture
the
"RING RING" ASCII data, as there "may" be other times
when other data might
be sent, causing false ring detection if you are monitoring the TX pin for
high signal....

Can't remember for sure (long time since I did any playing with serial
comms), but ISTR that RI is normally on pin 9 or 11....

Paul G.

>From: Ant Skelton <ant@xxxxxxx>
>To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Re: How do I tell whether the phone's ringing?
>Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 13:52:15 +0000
>
>Mark Harrison wrote:
> >
> > Hmmm... really wanted something that didn't involve a PC :-(
>
>You could use a modem plugged in to the phone line. When the phone
>rings, the modem will send "RING RING" out the serial port.
Not sure