Re: Fw: Bush Internet boxes...

Gareth,

You're right, RS do them for ~=A330.00, but my guess is that component
cost is less, seems awfully silly spending =A330 on a =A320 set top box.

Stuart (Still Hunting for an IBX250)

On Wed, 2001-12-05 at 14:33, Gareth Cook wrote:
> We thought about buying these for our support labs - but we never
needed=
=20
> them in the end.
>=20
> I'm SURE Maplin or RS do these things...so instead of plugging the
modem=
=20
> into a POTS, and you plug em both into these.
>=20
> G.
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> I think I've found what might be a solution to the problem
>=20
> http://www.hotspot.freeserve.co.uk/HOTSPOT/TLS/tlsframe.htm
>=20
> If I've understood things right this should allow the connection of
the
> STB to a modem, then connect the modem to a PC acting as an ISP.
>=20
> Can someone with a feel for electronics and the telephone system have
> look at the circuit.
>=20
> Regards
>=20
> Stuart
>=20
>=20
> On Wed, 2001-12-05 at 13:56, James, Daniel wrote:
> > >This isn't quite what I was thinking of..... this program
uses a seria=
> > link to a device (Psion=20
> > >in your case) and routes that out through another device on
the PC (a=
=20
> modem
> > in this=20
> > >case)......=20
> >=20
> > It links my Psion onto the Lan at work, to enable me to then surf
the=20
> web on
> > my psion or pick up mail. (It uses the TCP/IP address and setting
of th=
e=20
> PC
> > to surf the web, and it assigns the Psion its own IP address).
> >=20
> > >what we need to do for the Bush box, since it has a modem but
not
> > (currently,=20
> > >unless someone's been busy with a soldering iron!) a serial
port.....=
=20
> so we
> > want to connect the=20
> > >Bush modem, to another modem so that it thinks the PC is an
ISP..... I=
> > traffic can then be=20
> > >routed over the internal network and out through the gateway
machine=20
> (my
> > box with=20
> > >ADSL USB router) onto the internet.
> >=20
> > Ah ok, I thought I had seen that it had a serial port - Sorry!
> >=20
> > Ho hum
> >=20
> > Daniel
> >=20
Bush=
=20
> box,
> > since it has a modem but not (currently,  unless someone's been
busy=20
> with a
> > soldering iron!) a serial port..... so we want to connect the
Bush=20
> modem, to
> > another modem so that it thinks the PC is an ISP..... IP traffic
can=20
> then be
> > routed over the internal network and out through the gateway
machine (m=
y=20