Re: Re: How do I tell whether the phone's ringing?

Mark Harrison wrote:

> Hmmm... really wanted something that didn't involve a PC :-(

You could use a modem plugged in to the phone line. When the phone
rings, the modem will send "RING RING" out the serial port. Not
sure
whether you can interface this to homevision, as I don't have one.

My guess would be you either have an rs232 port (in which case you're
laughing) or a TTL IO pin or somesuch, which might be tricker. To
interface to that I guess you'd need to knock up a simple little circuit
- not sure if that's your bag or not.

Although thinking about it, I don't thing modems send out anything else
down the serial port when they're quiescent, so maybe looking for level
changes on the modem's serial TX line would be sufficient.

YMMV, HTH etc

ant
--
/\/\