Re: Bush Internet Box

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Bush Internet Box
  • From: "Quinten Uijldert" <yahoogroups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 08:08:13 -0000

The vouchers are no longer active. That ended on the 31th of October (so I
have been told). Still at £19.99 you have a wonderfull piece of equipment
which can be modified beyond belief (well sort of).

As it happens, I also picked up 4 units from my (not so) local Toys R Us
and
my impressions were that the unit is nice, tidy and compact; the remote is
awkward to work with but I suspect that is just a matter of time to get
used
to. The telephone cable is OTT (10m or so), the scart cable is about 1.5m.

I didn't even bother connecting it up with the Bush ISP, but instead went
straight ahead with the instructions from
http://www.kentwebnet.com/bush/config.htm
and hacked it so it would connect
to my 0808 (BT Friaco) ISP, Free24-7.net (or V21 really). After performing
the steps on the website I connected straight away using my ISP... for nowt
:-)

The webpages do surprisingly look good on my TV (your milage may vary
ofcourse) and are automagically transformed (don't expect flash/image maps
to work though).

As to the remote... Yes, you should be able to use this on your PC,
provided
you have an IR receiver connected to it and some appropriate software. I
myself have a Hauppauge WinTV card which comes with remote and receiver and
use a program called uICE ( www.mediatexx.com ) to control the PC remotely.
I will have a play with it later this week to see if it will accept the IR
signals from the Bush remote, but I don't foresee any problems.

Q.