Re: Mobiles

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Mobiles
  • From: "Doogie Brodie" <doogiebrodie@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 21:08:12 -0000

> Anyone with an Ericsson R380 or Nokia 9210 phone?
> A friend wants something like this (larger screen than normal
mobile)
> for reading emails, playing games etc..
> Any comments positive or negative?

(I use and love my iPAQ. On the odd occasions where I've said "Wow, I
wish I could SMS/Email/Live web browse", I've had a timeport, 6210
etc to hand, which I could throw my SIM in and use IR)

I've had a play with both, mainly setting them up for other people in
the company/ telling them why they aren't working etc ;->

9210:

A bit smaller and lighter than the 9110, but how the hell could they
consider releasing this without a touch sensitive screen...!!!???!
Come on! I thought the same of the 9110 as I had a Psion 5 at the
time. The UI is a nightmare to navigate through the cursor pad and
the keyboard is too small to get any solid typing rhythm going etc.
As I'm sure someone else said on here: too big to be a phone, to sh*t
to be a PDA ;->

R380:

Only had a pretty quick play with this. Not bad size - I have used an
888 for a while which was about the same size but without the flappy
bit. I was a bit scared at first of the fragility of the screen, with
having the buttons whacked on top of it, but it seemed OK. The
installed software for contacts and logging of calls etc was all
pretty good, but I felt the screen was too small to facilitate
everything properly. I couldn't get the handwriting recognition to
work, but the screen would be way too small to write on properly.

I hope this is of some use.....

Cheers

Doogie