Re: Telephonw to CAT5 Patching

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Telephonw to CAT5 Patching
  • From: geraint@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 10:25:26 -0000

Yes I think i've got it now.

Should explain the reason i've done the cabling like this, is for
simplicity.

All the Cat5 is colour coded (Patch panels, cable, wallplates, patch
leads).

Red1     - Always 100Base DATA
Yellow1  - Always 100Base DATA (or Video) (although I run CT100 for
now)
Green1   - 10BASE MP3 (not through Main Network)
Blue1    - Voice

24 wall plates in total, 96 ports.

I could have done all the sockets in a structured setup, but I wanted
to keep things seperate. The MP3 network is on a completely different
IP range than the main network.

In theory I can always "steal" one of the ports if I need say an
extra voice and the port is always used.
I just put in so much cable, I can't see this happening. Most rooms
have 2 or 3 4-way wallplates, and my office has 5.

I wanted to make it as simple as possible, if I ever came to sell the
house to someone who does not know IT or HA, that way it's easier to
document.

And yes, you must find the time to document the dummies guide to
phone cabling, ha.
I'm sure others will be wanting to run phones over CAT5 as it
simplifies the running of different types of cable, and when you get
the KAT5 switcher finished, then in theory CT100 could go by the
wayside also, leaving JUST CAT5 for audio, video, data, voice, alarm
etc, now that would make life easier.

Thanks again for the info, I can always count on you to make me go
away more confused than when I started...lol

Regards
Geraint

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Keith Doxey" <ukha@d...> wrote:
> Hi Geraint,
>
> If I am correct you are saying that each faceplate is like this...
>
> DATA-DATA-MP3-PHONE
>
> There is nothing wrong with that but it is NOT TRUE Structured
wiring.

> Several systems aimed at the residential market follow that model
and some
> even use PhoneJack modules for the Phone termination. If that works
for you
> and avoids confusion then that is fine.
>
> TRUE structured cable would be like this on the faceplates
>
> 1-2-3-4	5-6-7-8	9-10-11-12	13-14-15-16
> 17-18-19-20		21-22		23-24		25-26
>
> etc where the number on the socket refered to the number on the
single patch
> bay (which could be several hundred sockets).
> The whole concept of structured CAT5 cabling is that ANY socket is
for ANY
> purpose.
>
> Use coloured patch cords for identification at the patch panels
> Green - Network (Data or MP3)
> Red	- ISDN
> Yellow- Phone or PBX
> Blue  - KAT5
> Grey  - whatever etc.
>
> Getting back to the wiring of the phone, if you have followed the
normal BT
> code of
> BLUE/White   = B (BT2)
> WHITE/Blue   = A (BT5)
> ORANGE/White = Bell (BT3)
> then the plug in adaptors you can buy will work off the shelf.
>
> I plan to cut the plugs off and crimp on RJ45's. Its cheaper and
neater but
> you need to carefully assess the connections.
>
> Hole the cable with the BT Plug contacts uppermost (Tag on the
right)

> Cut the plug off and crimp on an RJ45 using the centre 4 pins again
contacts
> uppermost (Tag underneath)
>
> On your patch panel, pick a bank of sockets for the incoming line
and
> connect them up 1-1-1-1, 2-2-2-2, 3-3-3-3, etc, 8-8-8-8.
>
> To make the incoming patch cord
>
> Get an ordinary Phone cord with plug still attached.
>
> Hole the cable with the BT Plug contacts uppermost (Tag on the
right)

> Gripping the cable between you fingers, slide the cable through you
fingers
> until you react the required length.
>
> YOU NOW NEED TO FLIP THE CABLE.
>
> Cut off whatever was on the end.
>
> The cable now inserts into an RJ45 using the centre 4 pins again
contacts
> uppermost (Tag underneath) BUT WHAT WAS THE UNDERNEATH OF THE CABLE
IS NOW
> THE TOP.
>
> Dont worry too much if you get the patch cord wrong the first time.
You will
> get dial tone but it wont ring. You just have the cable the wrong
way round,
> cut the plug off and crimp a new one on the other way round.
>
> Just make sure you get all the phones right. A good tip is to use an
> indelible pen to mark either the top or bottom of the original cord
BEFORE
> you cut the plug off. Just make sure you do them all the same.
>
> If you wanted to hardwire your phone line to the patch bay for
phones with
> RJ45's on them then I "think" its...
>
> Wire		BTColour		BTPin	RJ45Pin	RJ45Colour
> B Wire	BLUE/White		2	6
GREEN/White
> A Wire	WHITE/Blue		5	3
WHITE/Green
> Bell		ORANGE/White	3	5		WHITE/Blue
>
> .... BUT PLEASE NOTE.. I HAVENT PROVED THIS.
>
> Hope that helps.....if not you are probably even MORE confused
now !!!!

> Must try this and do a tutorial....but you know how it is ...too
many
> things...too little time :-((
>
> Keith

Global
> > wallplates)
> >
> > What I want to know is this :-
> >
> > I have 3 Analogue lines and I have hooked them into a modified
> > blanking plate in the cabinet using double Phone wallplates
> > (secondary). There are 4 for each line, giving 8 connections per
> > inbound line. (I know they can't all be hooked up at once due to
REN