Re: DDAR - First impressions

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: DDAR - First impressions
  • From: Ian Oliver <ioliver.lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 10:19:43 +0100

> > Must be down to server speed then.
>
> I'm serving mine off an old compaq deskpro P166.  There's a delay of
maybe 5
> or 6 seconds while it builds artist/album, etc lists, but I can cope
with
> that.  I've got about 2500 tracks.

I've just tried again with the server doing nothing else and artist/album
are
about 6 seconds with titles taking more like 30 seconds!  There just isn't
so
much data that it should take this long. They're doing something wrong/lazy
IMO.

> > So my K6 isn't faring too badly!  At least I know not to spend
ages
> generating
> > V2 tags as they don't seem to help much.
> >
> 3 and a half minutes to load the database on my p166?

Hmmm. Maybe I will try V2 tags. I'll backup my 16g database first though!

> I've never had any 'jitter' either, but the only other thing that PC
does is
> Homeseer.

Our PC is also doing home office tasks, encoding CDs, playing games, etc.
I'm
doing to try and get a dedicated server machine some time soon.

> I don't like the UI much....

Its habit of taking you out of menus just after startup is annoying. I also
hate not being able to choose a new track while playing the last - it
should
just add it to a dynamic playlist. A jukebox with one minute gaps between
tracks as you choose something else is a bit drab!

> One other thing, I'd really looked forward to selecting massive
playlists
> and hitting random.

Hit random *before* choosing the playlist as it just seems to scramble as
it
loads.

> There's far too much stuff in my collection that never
> gets listened to anymore, and I wanted to resolve that.  But if for
example
> I just hit 'Select Music, All Music, Random', it just plays about the
first
> 100 tracks.

I don't have that problem as within 5-6 tracks wife/daughter want to turn
off
the music and turn on the television.

> Still like it though, and would have another one or three if no other
device
> supercedes it in the next few year.

Within a year there will be some *very* good alternatives even if I have to
do
the job myself!

Regards

Ian Oliver
Sunny Leeds, UK
Using Java on Tini for control via Dallas 1-wire