RE: DDAR - First impressions

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: DDAR - First impressions
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 12:09:42 +0100

My comments below:
> 1)
> It's big!  I really wasn't expecting something this big, and
> inside the
> box is mostly fresh air.  And the display is tiny.

Agreed, though given the choice I would have wanted something the same size
as my other HiFi components, like the Gateway one.

> 2)
> It's slow!  Getting lists of artists or albums takes about 10 seconds
> and getting a list of tracks about 40 seconds. This is with
> about 4.5k
> tracks and about 300 albums.  Fortunately the playlists view (by far
> the most useful) seems much faster.

This is very strange, I have 3000+ tracks and about 250 albums and artist
and album lists are much quicker (pause while I go and time it). I get
artist and album lists appearing instantly (to fast to time) and tracks in
about 2 seconds.

> 3)
> The UI is a bit buggy. After a reboot and a view of the playlists it
> keeps selecting one of the playlists while I'm scrolling through the
> list.  After doing this a couple of times and getting sworn
> at it seems
> to pack it in.

Not noticed this, but I seldom use playlists at the moment, except for a
party where I will build a playlist for the whole night.

> 4)
> Rebuilding the database of music takes about eight minutes
> and the DDAR
> seems to get confused if it isn't rebooted after this is done. Note
> though that my PC is only a K6-200, which is right at the minimum
> system requirement. BTW has anyone tried ID3V2 tags? Are they faster?

All my stuff is ID3V2 tags and my database takes 2m53s to build. However my
server is 1GHz with fast disks and plenty of memory. I would usually reboot
the DDAR following a database build.

> 5)
> Music can skip at the start if the PC is busy, but again this
> could be
> my slow PC.

Never noticed a single skipping track, so it might well be your PC. Infact
have had DDAR and MusicMatch on a separate client PC both accessing the
same
track from the server, still no skipping.

> 6)
> Random only seems to shuffle the playlist as you load it - I
> was hoping
> to be able to leave playlists running on repeat-all and
> random to get a
> continuously random set of tracks.

Not tried this, as I tend to listen to albums in sequence most of the time.

> 7)
> It's utterly wonderful! It really does prove the concept of
> distributed
> music even though it currently implements that concept in a rather
> crude way.

With my experience I wouldn't even describe it as crude, but yes it is
utterly wonderful.

> Today some hold start getting drilled in the kitchen to put
> the DDAR on
> a shelf rather than it just chucking around on the surface.
> Sadly it's
> much too big for the gap we had in mind so I get to do lots of extra
> wiring. Oh well!

I have yet to decide where all of mine will go, the only one in use at the
moment is in the HiFi rack, but I would imagine one for the kitchen, one
for
the bedroom and one for my daughters bedroom too. Unfortunately I have sold
all the others, because I would really like to have one in the workshop too
(maybe I'll find a way to get one of the Rio units from bestbuy).

Graham