Re: Interface design choices?...

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Interface design choices?...
  • From: "Andy Powell" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 14:25:53 -0000

Paul,

I'm 99.99999999999% sure that your ActiveX will not work on the
EPODS - Sorry.

Another thing to remember is that there were some reports of problems
if you left the EPODS on for very long periods. I've tried (quite a
while ago now) many things (e.g. WOL) to try to get it to wake up but
to no avail.

Using Terminal server is really the simplest option for programming,
any PC programming language would do (eg VB, VCC+, Perl etc) - you'd
also be able to control other things very easily via Terminal
services, like say, making your alarm clock an MP3 playing one etc.

I know it's quite a lot of money to buy Win2K but it will make your
life sooooo much easier.

The connection drop is a problem (particularly for your alarm clock
application)

I do have one of my EPODS set up so that I don't need to log in to
the terminal server at all...and I'm not sure about the
answer...however it's not a problem unique to terminal server. If
your application on the EPODS or PC crashes the effec is the same.

"Sorry I'm late for work, my alarm clock crashed"

Andy

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@h...> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As I mentioneed the other day, I want to use my epod as my bedside
HA
> controller, in place of the minitimer that I currently use.
>
> I've just started thinking about what I want on it, and how I can
go about
> doing it. As I plan to replace the minitimer module, the Epod
interface must
> replicate all the functionality that is provided by that, - i.e. a
digital
> clock display, alarm setting controls, and X10 controls. I also
intend to
> expand on the basic 4/8 X10 control on the timer.
>
> So, what I'm after is advice/suggestions/help etc...
>
> As I see it, I have several choices for generating the interface....
>
> - ACE-Epod
> - Custom webpage rendered by the Epod browser
> - Terminal services session to some custom program on a terminal
server.

> There will be plus and minus points for each option...
>
> ACE-Epod - I haven't seen this yet, so I have no idea what it looks
like, or
> how customisable it will be.
>
> Custom webpage designed specifically for this purpose - there may
be
> problems getting the
>
> Epod browser to display some of the elements that I'd like to
include - such
> as a video window of the front door camera?
>
> Terminal services - I know this is faster than the above option,
and may get
> around the display problems, but I'm concerned about the connection
being
> lost between the pod & the server... (Plus I don't currently have
terminal
> server - the upgrade to W2K is still pending!)
>
> Those of you who are using epods as HA controllers, what have you
done, what
> would you recommend I do/don't do, what are the pitfalls of each
option?

> Anyone care to help me in this endeavour?  :-)
>
> I've already "knocked up" an ActiveX control with all the
clock/alarm