RE: A newbie builds a house

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: A newbie builds a house
  • From: james.2.winspear@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 10:36:33 +0100

> 1) Coax use as a minimum ct100, you will also read in the archive
about
> Kat5
> from Keith this collection of devices will reduce the need of some
runs of
> coax

My recommendation, in general, is to over-specify all the cabling
capabilities so consider CT125, get the best quality CAT wiring
(5/6/whatever is the latest (within reason) at time of 1st Fix)

> 3) Keep CAT5, Coax & mains well away from each other

Plan very carefully where you want all your cable runs to go, well
in advance, and ensure that your electrician understands that data/power
cables need to be separated by something like 18 inches when parallel and
should cross at right-angles.  Also plan where you're really going to want
data/power sockets to go (it's easy-ish in my refurbishment, but definitely
worth walking/talking through with any family members as well.  Don't
forget
that you can get at least 4 data points (eg 2 RJ45, 2 coax) in a
single-gang
socket.  If you're not convinced of the need for more than 2 CAT5 cables to
each data socket, you could always cable a couple of spares to the gang,
and
leave unterminated (on a at least the cable's in place) - if you
subsequently need more sockets, you can simply expand the single-gang wall
socket to a double gang, and use the spare cables.

> 6) Heating controllers, you could use a commercial control system or
> perhaps
> take a look at HomeVision

Personally, I went for UFH and no visible thermostats (single zone),
but multi-zone/room control can be done, with HomeVision or Comfort using
normal thermostats/Dallas 1820's/Enerzone flush-mount thermostats (I'll
probably migrate to these - now if only I'd put some CAT5 to somewhere
useful halfway down the wall).

James