RE: automated sky lights?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: automated sky lights?
  • From: "James Hoye" <james.hoye@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 13:45:52 +0100

> 	Boiler automation - I've left boiler automation to a specific
> system, designed precisely for the job (I've installed a DCD
controller,
> which has weather compensation, pump runs etc).  That way, I can play
with
> my HA setup without any comeback.

I thought about one of these, but at over ?300 + VAT, I thought the payback
period a little too long, esp. that my gas bill is currently running at
?0/month (had the has meter moved a few weeks and hasn't been reconnected
yet).  By installing a 7 day timer (instead of a crappy 1 day that was
there) I've managed to reduce my gas consumption from around ?30/month to
under ?20.

> 	If you're doing a new-build, I would definitely recommend some
> careful thought into a Node 0 (understairs cupboard in my case), with
lots
> of room, where all lights/sockets etc are all terminated back to
> (star-like
> scenario); light switches also should be terminated back here, so
> non-automated lights can be simply connected, but automated or future
> changes can allow different control.

Very wise words.  If only I were allowed to do the same.... :)

> 	Hope this helps
>
> 	James

Other James - James H