RE: London Meet and DDAR Drop

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: London Meet and DDAR Drop
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 00:06:58 +0100

The DDARs are actually quite impressive ... I'm using a decent set of headphones (£200 Sennheiser HD580 Precisions) on the headphone output at the moment and at very high levels (40+ on the scale) there's clipping but 40 is a level loud enough to give serious cause for concern if you listen for long periods. At saner levels the unit is actually proving pretty transparent.

I'm assuming that the guys who did the eMpeg in car unit did more than just the software for this as the bass boost on the unit is pretty typical Patrick Arnold - winding up the bass gives you more bass (as it should be) wheras most bass controls just give you a flabby bottom end (just like mine!).

I have all three units hooked up to my 1.2GHz Athalon / 160Gb / 512Mb "server" and with all three units streaming simultaneously the PC is doing nothing that you would notice (however I am using a decent 10/100 switch and trying my old 10Mb hub makes the machine work rather a lot harder) ... just going to try it on my crappy P133 sitting in the corner to see whether that shows any sign of stress!

Pronto template is already done and in ... no pretty layouts mapping to it yet though.

Phil