RE: Newbie Again

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Newbie Again
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 21:22:16 +0100

> LV lighting does not mix well with X10 dimming. Basically the
transformers
> don't like it and may fail, catch fire if you try it. They are fine
with
> appliance type modules as these are straight on/off. Mains
> voltage halogens
> are fine for dimming.

Erm, just my £0.02...

*SOME* electronic halogen transformers will put enough mains noise out that
they swamp X10, some electronic transformers are *NOT* dimmable ... I have
used several brands of *DIMMABLE* electronic halogen transformers quite
successfully on LD10 Din rail dimmers and not had any problems with
anything
getting too hot or bursting into flames.

(Has anyone actually had a halogen transformer burst into flames when used
on an X10 dimmer?)

It has been discussed at length which transformers will or won't dim and
the
*ALL* halogen sets I have used so far have been fine. Some people on the
group have suggested that wirewound transformers - although far bulkier -
will better handle being dimmed as they are a fairly easy load to drive.

Mains powered halogens are great though if you can use them.

Phil

(Just didn't want you to start panicking on your first day at the thought
of
burning your house down!)

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx