RE: Newbie Again

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Newbie Again
  • From: "Ian B" <Ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 21:02:13 +0100

> flooring down and fit LV lighting,

LV lighting does not mix well with X10 dimming. Basically the transformers
don't like it and may fail, catch fire if you try it. They are fine with
appliance type modules as these are straight on/off. Mains voltage halogens
are fine for dimming.

> In essence I am looking to have a small internal network 1-2 data
ports in
> each room, and then be able to connect tv/satellite/dvd/video around
the

Fit more CAT5 cable and ports and then double it. Pretty much everything
can
run over CAT5 including all you telly requirements - see Kat5 from Keith
Doxey.

> 95000	Pronto RU890 Remote & RU941 Docking Station (Package Price)
> £179.95
> 10512	IR7243AH All House Code IR->X10 Converter for Pronto/RC5000
> £72.85
> 10215	XM10U (TW7223) X10 -> Mains Interface
> £30

All good choices

> 10003	HomeVision Home Automation Controller 3.0 PAL			£440

Go for the standalone unit. It is small and under normal circumstances one
of the most reliable bits of kit you can buy today. Budget for an expansion
board in the future as that is great as well. Temperature input via Dallas
thingies (1820s) and the analogue port etc.

> Then, in terms of the house I am looking at fitting low voltage
lighting
> throughout which means:
>
> Room		Dimmers	Data Ports/TV-AV Ports
> Lounge		2 gang		2/2
> Dining Room	1		2/1
> Hallway		2 gang		2/1
> CloakRoom	1
> Kitchen		1		2/1
> FamilyRoom	1		2/1
>
> Bedroom1	1		2/2
> Bedroom2	1		2/1
> Bedroom3	1		2/1
> Bedroom4	1		2/1
> Bathroom	1
> Ensuite		1
> Landing		2 gang		2/1
>
> Does this therefore mean that I need 14 of the following for the
> Low Voltage
> Lighting?
>
> 10002	LD10 DIN Mounted Lamp Module (LD11 Internal Software)
> £34.99 * 14
> 10455	DIN Enclosure for 1 x LD10/LD11
> £17.63 * 14
> 10 * 1 gang faceplates
> 3 * 2 gang faceplates
>
> Is there a cheaper source for brass faceplate dimmers as 10070/1 is
> £70
> each ?
>
> In order to do the Data Ports/TV-AV ports I am guessing I need
> around 2.5km
> of cat5e wiring ? Does that sound correct.
> Also where is a good place to purchase this (I live near Windsor)?
>
> I also presume I will need to grab some Kat5 widget thingies so I
> can run AV
> over the cat5e? Is that the generally recommended way now ?

See notes at the beginning!!!

> Ok also needed will be:
>
> crimping tool - yes
> IR detector - any suggestions which one ? detector??
> patch panel - any suggestions which one ? - lets automate ones are a
good
price although I have never seen one in the flesh.
> patch panel leads - yes
> and then a mixture of AM12/LM12/AW10 for the mains electrics. - yes
> Whats people's view on the WS10, its much more expensive so is it
worth it
? - pass

> Anything else I missed, any other recomendations?

You may want to think about IR distribution. I am developing some PIC based
IR repeaters and Keith is working on IR return for KAT5. Mine will need
about 5 lines in a CAT5 cable between A and B.

Ian

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx