802.11b Purchase - anyone else?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: 802.11b Purchase - anyone else?
  • From: "Mark McCall" <mark@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 15:10:36 +0100

I'm about to buy 802.11b setup along with another list member.  We have settled on LinkSys stuff because of price/performance.  This is a simple bridge type AP and doesn't include any router or modem.   AP details here...
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/reviews/linksys_wap11.asp

Before this wedding takes place does anyone know of any just reason why this card and this access point will not live in perfect harmony and let me use my Epod, iPAQ, Win98 laptop to do all the usual Net stuff I want.  There was talk here the other day about APs using NAT that wouldn't allow ICQ etc to work??  The card seems to work with CE devices if you use the Compaq drivers and is listed as OK on the Epods hack site.

LinkSys PCMCIA card (WPC11) £87.26 and Access Point (WAP11) £174.52 - prices plus vat, 1.5% Credit Card charge and delivery.  If anyone else is interested let me know and we'll see if ordering a few would make any difference to the price.

Thanks

M.

The UKs Premier Home Automation Site