Re: RE: (ukha_d) OTish: basic network question

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: RE: (ukha_d) OTish: basic network question
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 16:58:25 +0100

Never mind the subnet mask, - the network ID is different! - these two will
never talk to each other!

Look at the laptop IP - it is a "169....." address, - this is the
range used
by Win98's "Autoconfig" feature that is used when even a DHCP
server is
unavailable. - Instead of just "not configuring" the adapter,
when no other
means of obtaining an IP address is available Win98 and above will use
"autoconfig" and allocate an address in the 169 range, so that
even if you
do nothing else at all, if you just install a bunch of win98 machines with
all the default settings, they WILL talk to each other using TCP/IP right
out of the box...

The 169 range is used because it is allocated to Microsoft. (Why they don't
just use one of the RFC1918 private ranges I don't know!!!)

You can turn autoconfig off, but ISTR it requires a reg edit...

You can do one of several things...

Change your server box to a 169.254.?.?/16 address, - this will match the
network ID of the address that autoconfig on the laptop uses.

or.

Install a DHCP service somewhere... - the laptop config IS set to use DHCP,
but it would seem as though one is not being found*, because the IP on the
laptop suggests that autoconfig is being used, and if a DHCP server was
found, the IPCONFIG/ALL on the laptop would tell you the IP address of the
server used to obtain the lease.

* (unless ICS's DHCP function also assigns from the 169 range? - I've never
used ICS so I don't know about that...)

HTH

Paul G.

>1 Ethernet adapter :
>

>  Your laptop.............
>
>Description . . . . . . . . : Portable Add-Ons CardBus Ethernet Adapter
>Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-10-A4-D1-1A-DB
>DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
>IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 169.254.187.101
>Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
>
>your server............
>
>desc: realtek RTL8139<a> fast ethernet
>Phys address: 00-D0-70-01-6D-E7
>DHCP enabled: N
>IP address: 192.168.0.1
>Subnet: 255.255.255.0
>

>It looks like your subnet mask is different. Try changing that...
>
>HTH
>Neil

Network at
>work -
> > you should be able to configure TCP/IP on it without upsetting
Novell.
>Go
> > onto your win2k box and goto start, run and type ipconfig /all.
> >
> > What settings do you get back?

bog-standard
>100MB
> > Ethernet card
> > 1 x laptop running W98, and using Novell NetWare when logged into
the
>office
> > server (is this the problem?) with bog-standard PCMCIA Ethernet
card.
> > 1 x Dynamode switch.
> >
> > The main PC (W2K) seems to be working fine, and according to the
diags
>is
> > sending packet happily, so the problem is almost certainly with
the
>laptop.
> > I've tried setting it to 'Client for MS networks' rather than
Novell,
>but
>it
> > still doesn't see anything.  When I try to renew the IP address
it fails
>as
> > it
> > can't find the DHCP server (obviously), but I still need to be
able to
>use
> > the
> > laptop in the office too, so the support boys won't be happy if I
screw
> > around
> > with it too much. Both machines are set to the same workgroup.
> >
> > Am I missing something obvious?
> >
> > Pete

Post message: