Re: Re: OTish: basic network question

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Re: OTish: basic network question
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 13:21:45 +0100

Good point actually! - I assumed the W2K box was server, - but reading
again, he doesn't actually say that, so it might not be...

Perfectly correct, W2K Pro cannot have the MS DHCP service installed on
it... (you may be able to install a 3rd party DHCP server service on it,
but
I don't know about that....)

Paul G.

wrote:
> > Or alternatively, (and easier IMHO) - just install a DHCP server
on
>the W2K
> > server....
> >
> > Paul G.
> >
> > >I know this problem well!
> > >
> > >Novell and Microsoft networking use different protocols so
you will
> > >need to synchronise network settings  on your laptop, check
out
>this
> > >link on how to do this:
> > >
> > >http://www.sohointer.net/
> > >

> > >As your work laptop is looking for a DHCP served IP address
and a
> > >Novell server you would need to change the network settings
>manually
> > >on the laptop each time or use an network settings switcher
program
> > >which will make the required changes with one click, i.e. you
have
> > >a "home" and "work" profile.
> > >
> > >There are several available such as "switcher" or
"multinet" from
> > >tucows or download.com.

> > >ages ago, but
right lights