Re: OTish: basic network question

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: OTish: basic network question
  • From: lardfest@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 11:19:55 -0000

I know this problem well!

Novell and Microsoft networking use different protocols so you will
need to synchronise network settings  on your laptop, check out this
link on how to do this:

http://www.sohointer.net/

As your work laptop is looking for a DHCP served IP address and a
Novell server you would need to change the network settings manually
on the laptop each time or use an network settings switcher program
which will make the required changes with one click, i.e. you have
a "home" and "work" profile.

There are several available such as "switcher" or
"multinet" from
tucows or download.com.

--- In ukha_d@y..., peter.white@b... wrote:
> Guys
>
> Finally got around to connecting the Switch that I got from Scan
ages ago, but
> can't get the PC's talking to each other.  All the right lights are
flashing (on
> the network cards/dongles & switch), so I think the problem is my
incompetent
> s/w set-up, as opposed to the h/w.  Bearing in mind I don't know
huge amounts
> about networking, my config is:
>
> 1 x PC running W2K (and ideally Internet sharing), with bog-
standard 100MB
> Ethernet card
> 1 x laptop running W98, and using Novell NetWare when logged into
the office
> server (is this the problem?) with bog-standard PCMCIA Ethernet
card.
> 1 x Dynamode switch.
>
> The main PC (W2K) seems to be working fine, and according to the
diags is
> sending packet happily, so the problem is almost certainly with the
laptop.
> I've tried setting it to 'Client for MS networks' rather than
Novell, but it

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx