Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2001 12:38 PM
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] How reliable is comfort

Steve,

First I want to clarify my comments regarding the doorbell and redundant systems.  My philosophy of keeping each of my HA systems independent of each other so that if 1 system is down the others will work, does NOT come from having unreliable equipment in my house.  Both my HV and Comfort systems have worked flawlessly since I installed them.  Instead, it comes from the reality that eventually 1 of these systems will likely fail and I don't want to lose all HA features when it does.  I had a lightning strike 2 years ago (Comfort was not yet installed) that took out my HV.  Since all HA devices have local control, I was still able to operate everyhting manually until I got the HV repaired.

Also, since I am a software developer, my systems are in a constant state of change.  So, I need to plan for the case when I write bad software for 1 of the systems or I short 2 wires together and blow something up (which is much more likely than 1 of these systems failing I think).

So, my answer to your question is that from my experience (which is admittedly only 1 system so far), Comfort is very reliable.

Another of my design philosophies is that my lighting has local control and does not use any special wiring that the average electrician can not work on.  This allows me to sell my house and take my HA stuff with me, or leave the HA stuff.  In either case, the new owners can replace the X-10 wall switch with a "normal" switch.  And, they can operate the lights if the system is down.  I would not consider installing lights where there was no local control.  I am not sure that I could program into my system all the scenerios where I might want the lights on and/or off.

Consider if you will ever just want to leave these lights on for some reason.  And, if controlled by a motion sensor, will it see a child walking into the room?  What about pets?  The list goes on and on.  Obviously this is a personal preference/situation decision that you must make and you may not agree with my thinking, which is fine.  I just wanted to point out a few things.

Dan