RE: Re: Advice required on wiring in the garden

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Advice required on wiring in the garden
  • From: "James Hoye" <james.hoye@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 14:44:11 +0100

> Thanks James, I have decided how to proceed thanks to your advice.
> Took me a while to figure out that SWA means Steel Wire Armoured.  I

Ooops - sorry :)

> have just bought some 40mm corrigated pipe with a smooth inner
> surface that is intended for routing electrical cable undergrouund.
> This comes complete with a draw string ( mouse ).  Only problem is I
> had to buy 50m!  I am hoping to bring it out of the ground straight

Well, SWMBO will be so impressed, you'll need the other 25m for the next
one!

> into the bottom of a waterproof box.  I shall make a 40mm hole in the
> box and seal it with silicone.  I shall then use SWA as suggested for
> the mains and earth the armour at one end to act as a partial

Ideally you should get at least 3 core SWA - and only use the armour as an
_additional_ earth (tie the earthing tag supplied with the glands at BOTH
ends otherwise you could end up with a potential difference (albeit small)
between the armour and the earth conductor).  With 4 core, you'll have a
spare conductor which could be used (switched from the same circuit) for
lighting or something else.

Glands are unfeasibly cheap at http://www.screwfix.com/product.phtml?6877
?2.73 each.

James H