Re: Advice required on wiring in the garden

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Advice required on wiring in the garden
  • From: ccwilliams@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 13:32:54 -0000

--- In ukha_d@y..., "James Hoye" <james.hoye@s...> wrote:
> > Option 2 is to use the water pipe just for the low voltage stuff
and
> > use armoured mains cable.  I only really want to dig one trench
so
> > the mains cable would be touching the outside of the water pipe.
Is
> > this any better or are both schemes flawed?
> >
> > Your thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated.
>
> My suggestion would be to bury 4" drainpipe (or something
similar)
between
> the house and where ever.  Use SWA mains cable which has sufficient
> mechanical protection in its own right alongside the CAT5/whatever
(SWA does
> not require a separate physical barrier to separate it from LV
cable).  Use
> solvent weld, silicone or something similar when you need to join
the duct,
> and lay it on a gravel bed to assist drainage.
>
> Bringing it out of the ground may be a little trickier - you need
to ensure
> that water cannot enter via the cable entry/exit points - gravity
can be a
> good friend here!  ALternatively, take it through the wall,
ensuring you
> pump plenty of silicone into the gap between the pipe and wall to
prevent
> water ingress.
>
> James H

Thanks James, I have decided how to proceed thanks to your advice.
Took me a while to figure out that SWA means Steel Wire Armoured.  I
have just bought some 40mm corrigated pipe with a smooth inner
surface that is intended for routing electrical cable undergrouund.
This comes complete with a draw string ( mouse ).  Only problem is I
had to buy 50m!  I am hoping to bring it out of the ground straight
into the bottom of a waterproof box.  I shall make a 40mm hole in the
box and seal it with silicone.  I shall then use SWA as suggested for
the mains and earth the armour at one end to act as a partial
screen.  Hopefully this will reduce interference with the LV cables.
The other advantage is that I can get the water feature up and
running to please SWMBO and add the LV stuff later.

Thanks again for the advice.

Cheers,

Chris Williams