Advice required on wiring in the garden

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Advice required on wiring in the garden
  • From: ccwilliams@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 09:59:58 -0000

Hi folks,

I am after some advice on wiring in the garden.  We are in the
process of laying a patio and building a water feature at the end of
the garden ( approx. 25m from house ).  I need to run mains to the
the end of the garden to power the pump and in the future some
lights.  As the HA law goes, whenever laying cable, lay some spare
CAT5 just in case!  In fact I intent ro run at least one CAT5 cable
for possibly using with a camera and a KAT5 module and one screened
alarm cable for use with a PIR.

My question is this:  What is the best method of getting these cables
safely to the end of the garden.  My favourite scheme is to use some
25mm high pressure water pipe to enclose all three cables.  The
advantage with this is that I can get flange fittings to join the
pipe to a waterproof box thus keeping all the cables safe and out of
sight.  ( I know you are not supposed to put electricity in a water
pipe in case someone decides to cut through it, but I am the only
person likely to do this! )  The problem with this is that the low
voltage signal cables will be allong side (touching) the mains cable
for 25m.

Option 2 is to use the water pipe just for the low voltage stuff and
use armoured mains cable.  I only really want to dig one trench so
the mains cable would be touching the outside of the water pipe.  Is
this any better or are both schemes flawed?

Your thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Chris Williams