RE: Cheap PC with TV out?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Cheap PC with TV out?
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 22:55:30 +0100

DONT DO IT !!!!

It is a CONVERTER.

Broadcast quality SCAN converters are very good but cost Hundreds if not
thousands. Low cost converters are pretty ****.

For similar or less money you can get a Video card with TVOut. These
GENERATE the display at TV frame resolution and give a picture that is
vastly superior to a converter.

I have 2 scan converters, a Creative Labs unit and a VGA2PAL card which
fits
in a spare slot and connects to the graphics card. Whilst they are OKish
they are not a patch on the two ATI Video cards with TVOut.

Converters still have a place in the grand scheme of things, for instance
displaying a Laptop where you cant fit a differnet video card, but because
the images is down converted there will be a noticeable loss of quality.

As I said before, for MAXIMUM legibility on a TV you need to use S-Video if
possible.

Keith

"weekday
> >Homevision wakeup" to turn on the bedroom telly, tune it to
that video
> >stream (which would, of course, be shipped via KAT5 so I don't
need to
> >have a PC in the bedroom), and display my "Outlook
Today"...

> >I'm happy to have a PC dedicated to this, provided it can be an
"el
> >cheapo", say a P-90, since the PC isn't going to have to
break into a
> >sweat. After all, it can start Outlook about 5 minutes before the
TV
> >switches on...
> >
> >(This is inspired by the "wake up" scene in "6th
Day").