RE: Re: LD module mounting

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: LD module mounting
  • From: "James Hoye" <james.hoye@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 13:54:25 +0100

> All the consumer units are a certain size quoted in the number of
MCB's
> acommodated. - I.E.  there is a 12-way which will acommodate up
> to 10 MCB's
> (I presume 2 ways are always taken up by the master switch then?)
>
> Now, are these MCB's a standard size? and if so, how does that
> relate to the
> size of an X10 DIN module?

I think the 'DIN' refers to the mounting rail.  A way is as wide as an MCB,
so an X10 module probably occupies 2 ways as it is twice as wide.

> >From what I can see, it looks rather like a common MCB is half
> the width of
> a DIN module, so on that basis, I would guess I need at least an
"8-way"
> unit in order to house 4 DIN modules?...

Indeed.

> But what about the (allegedly) required gap between the modules?
> - how much
> should be left?
>
> Should I order a 12-way consumer unit, which by my guestimate should
> acommodate 4 DIN modules (8 "ways" taken), with 2
"ways" left
> which equates
> to (more or less) 1/2 a "way" of space between them...

Should be sufficient, but _if_ I were allowed to^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hdoing
this I would fit 2 X10 modules side by side (4 ways) with a blanking plate
(1 way) between the 2 groups of 2 and between one of the groups and the
isolating switch.  Sort of:
DDDD-DDDD-SS where SS is the isolator, DD is an X10 DIN module occupying 2
ways and - is a blank.  Of course, someone who actually has experience of
these things (something I can only aspire to) may offer advice based on
their actual experience and not my suposition.

> Am I making sense?

All sounds good to me - _I_ think you're making sense.

James H