Re: [OT] Laptop IDE drive used in desktop?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [OT] Laptop IDE drive used in desktop?
  • From: geraint@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 20:05:49 -0000

Nice one Jason,

Laptop is a Dell Latitude Cpi, so I guess i'll be alright....phew,
breathes a sigh of relief :)

regards
geraint.

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Jason Lee" <jasonjlee@b...> wrote:
> OK, I managed to find the info on the adapter, I kept the little
bag in came in..

> 3.5" to 2.5" IDE Hard Disk Drive Adapter
> 40 Way IDC Male (2.54mm Pitch) + 5.25" Power male to
> 44 Way IDC Female (2mm Pitch)
>
> Art.No 70 189
>
> Made by LINDY.. barcode is 4  002888 701891
>
> I would guess most places that carry lindy cables would sell it,
but it is a guess.

> And of course, the drive works fine, only problem I had was finding
brackets to mount the drive into a bay with. The set I have is pretty
ropey, so if you find anything that is any good, let me know :)

> And Phil, you were obviously right about the pitch ( which I had
noticed, but forgot to mention.. honest! )

> oh and Gerant, the only thing PERHAPS wprth worrying about, that I
am aware of, is that older 2.5" drives had different placement of the
fixing screw holes ( not sure if they all changed, or just some), and
were also taller than the latest drives, but thats kinda obvious when
ordering :)

> But I think that change happened maybe 3-4 years ago, so if the
notebook you've got is recent, I wouldn't worry.

have a chance
>     and double check who the manufacturer is. I believe it was some
popular
>     cheap brand, but the name escapes me. I was actually very
surprised to find
>     one.
>
>     Oh BTW, steer clear of the adpater listed on DABS (if it is
still listed) as
>     its not what it appears to be, and WILL NOT do this job.
>
>     Hope this helps Mark

uses
exactly
wrote:
>     > > Getting my laptop HD upgraded this week.  Can I use the
old
drive
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>     >