RE: Re: (Mark ?)

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: (Mark ?)
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <timothy.morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 00:00:11 +0100

extremely offensive.

> If there were American citizens on this list, your comments could
> at best be
> percieved as humour in poor taste.

I am by no means Xenophobic, and really do consider myself to be part of
the
global village. At the last wedding I went to the groom was German, the
best
man was Swedish, and I was one of only two English people on my table. I
did
my best to attempt some schoolboy German in speaking to some of the people
on my table, even though it is years since I was last over there.

I have also worked as UK sales manager for two US companies where I
reported
directly to the VP sales in America, and would regard both of them in as
two
of my closest friends. I know some very intelligent Americans, and in fact
I'm working with two at the moment to set up a wireless Internet company in
the UK, one of whom would be regarded as a genius. The fact remains though,
that even intelligent Americans are generally very poor when it comes to
grammar, and as the transatlantic flow seems to be one way, they are
destroying the English language. Two things spring to mind immediately -
they frequently use adjectives instead of adverbs - "It was real
good", and
frequently use "I" or "myself" when "me" is
appropriate, and as time goes on
that incorrect usage seems to be becoming commonplace over here. It has now
got to the stage where BBC newsreaders, who used to be perfect when it
comes
to English grammar are doing the same.

> Given that there is no-one from the US to personally point out
> the idiocy of
> your "point" (as there are, in fact, a considerable number
of highly
> educated American scholars) your comments are nothing more than
> nationalistic self-superior crap.
>
> As to ignoring Geraint's posts because of a minor grammatical
infraction,
> what's next? ignoring us because we use a regional dialect?

Before I got into the rant, all I asked was for him to lay off on the
punctuation, as I personally find it difficult to read. He then responded
with snide comments, which prompted the rant.

> I suggest you apologise to Geraint.

Give me a good reason and I will.

Tim.