RE: Re: (Mark ?)

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: (Mark ?)
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <timothy.morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 00:56:32 +0100

No, I realise that as with spelling the Americans do apply different rules
to English. However if you speak to an American who is as particular about
American grammar as I am anal about English grammar, they will confirm that
although the usage is common, using an adjective together with a verb is
incorrect, and using "I" when the phrase is in the accusative
case is
incorrect, as is the use of myself when the phrase is not dative.

> > The fact remains though,that even intelligent Americans are
generally
> > very poor when it comes to grammar, and as the transatlantic flow
seems
> > to be one way, they are destroying the English language.
>
> They may not be using the Grammar that you use for English, but
> calling this
> "destroying" the English Language is firmly rooted in the
idea
> that there is
> such a thing as a universally correct English Grammar. The Grammar of
> particular language is an ever evolving aspect, just like vocabulary.

The thing that really annoys me is that common usage is now starting to
persist over here where it is equally incorrect. The I - me thing stems
from
the fact that people are afraid to use me and get it wrong so they use I,
or
even worse myself in the mistaken belief that it is correct

> Not that this particularly matters. The main point is of course:

No, you're right there are more important things in life to worry about,
but
it does boil down to the fact that people aren't taught properly in school
any more, or don't pay attention because they don't think it is important.
That combined with the fact that we import a *lot* of TV from the US means
that we are on a slippery slope, and noone seems to be noticing.

> > Give me a good reason and I will.
>
> Civility.

I think I was more than civil - I'll quote -

"You might think I'm being picky, probably because I am, but could you
try
to only use one comma or full stop at a time please" - which you are
right
should have been sent ot him privately, but I hit send without even
thinking
to change the "reply to" address.

He then took the piss minutes later further down the thread. I don't have
the message so I can't quote it I'm afraid, but it did have roflmao in
there
somewhere, which prompted me to start my rant.

I really can't be arsed with this any more, if people are so thin skinned
that they can't respond to a simple request to not hit the comma key four
times repeadetly in a sentence they should try a few years in the Army or a
few hours in a dealing room. They'd be in tears. HTML in posts doesn't
bother me, but people seem to think that it i acceptable to jump down
people's throats for using html or top posting, but use of english is
irrelevant. If you all want me to go I will, I really couldn't give a fuck
any more.

Tim.

Tim.