Re: GPS and thankyou...

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: GPS and thankyou...
  • From: "Steve Cooper" <steve.cooper@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 12:01:01 +0100

Phil

Currently looking into GPS deciding whether to go for something like the
Legend with map download or interface to a laptop.  How does the eTrex
interface with MS AutoRoute is it just via the PC interface cable that
comes with the eTrex?

Steve

=
=
=20
"Phil Harris"                                          =
=
=20
<phillip.harris1@v        To:     <ukha_d@xxxxxxx=
om>                                                         =
=20
irgin.net>                cc:                          =
=
=20
Subject:     [ukha_d] GPS and=
thankyou...                                                =
=20
02/08/01 23:29                                         =
=
=20
Please respond to                                      =
=
=20
ukha_d                                                 =
=
=20
=
=
=20
=
=
=20

Just wanted to let you know how my first real foray out with GPS went ...
used the Garmin eTrex (=A3130 from Maplin), my Compaq M300 (=A3999 from
Tem=
po)
and MS Autoroute 2001 (=A350) to navigate my way up to see John Hill today.

John lives up in Hampstead (I'm in Winchester) which to me is central
London
and so I was pooping myself this morning when I set off - especially as
Autoroute had planned me a route that took me through Piccadilly and up
along Tottenham Court Road (maybe it already knew my addiction to
gadgets?).
Anyway, with the laptop balanced on the seat beside me I got to Johns
driving through London with only two wrong turns - spotted immediately and
solely due to my own misreading the screen. It even guided me back out
again
and all the way home on a fully charged standard battery with 9% remaining
as I pulled into the drive at about 10:30. I thought this pretty good at
getting on for 1.75 hours with the screen on!

As John said ... the route wasn't the best and local knowledge would have
resulted in a shorter/quicker/less congested route but given that I know
sod
all about the inner workings of London I was willing to let uncle Bill
guide
me and he did so admirably.

As an adjuct to this I'd like to thank John for his hospitality today ... I
spent a pleasant day mulling over everything from wireless LANs to the UKHA
"project" with John and it was nice to meet yet another group
member. (Plus
he makes a damn decent ham roll and a good mug of tea which even my missus
hasn't mastered yet!) It seems that John joined us just before Paul and I
got sh*tfaced on the group that infamous Saturday evening and miraculously
wasn't put of the group as a whole or meeting up with me!

Phil