Sent: 02 August 2001 05:19
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] CD players

It depends on a number of things - there is more than one way to skin a cat and there are different algorithms used to convert the digital bitstream into analogue data. Without getting too technical higher resolution converters will push any smapling noise way outside the audible spectrum. Components in the analogue stages will also have an impact on the final sound achieved. There are some awesome single box players around the Marantz CD-63 KI sig being one example that springs to mind. There are also advantages to having two seperate power supplies, and keeping the transport on conversion circuitry in two seperate boxes. This does assume though that you are feeding a digital signal into a good quality D-A converter, and not a 200 quid Sherwood job from Richer Sounds.

As to digital cables, a number of people cite the PC as an argument for why you shoulc only use cheap digital interconnects. The CD-Rom to system board cable in a PC uses a different method of transferring data to that between a transport and a converter - it is a 20 way (?) ribbon cable compared with a pair of conductors in an audio cable. There are measurable differences in analogue cables. Skin effect for one which is caused by the interaction between the surface of the conductor and its insulator - which effects the timing of different parts of the audio spectrum - I think that HF travels more slowly than LF but it may be the other way round. While some people may find it difficult to tell the difference between cables in the Audio domain, connect up a high quality display device using different cables and more of us will spot the difference imediately ( Ihave to say that I've got 200 quid's worth of component cables between my DVD player and plasma) Noone is quite sure why digital cables sound different. Jitter, or timing errors is the most commonly cited reason.

I'm opening myself up for some critisism here, but I have an esoteric cable running between my CD player and digital pre-amp, and there is a difference between that and cheaper cables. I did audition it blind - I didn't know which was which when comparing the two.

If you want to know more there is an excellent book available (Amazon stock it) - The complete guide to High End Audio by Robert Harley ISBN 0-9640849-4-5

My advice? Don't go there it starts to get *really* expensive. Even Phil would have a hard time sneaking some of my kit past SWMBO.

Tim