Re: Cable Modem

Title: Re: [ukha_d] Cable Modem
        I've just ditched adsl and gone NTL - long story but believe it or not BT wouldn't let me change the phone number on the adsl line without cancelling and restarting the adsl 1 year contract & paying a new install cost wybi !- so it's out. (The phone no was still listed as a local branch of Grahams - the builders merchants !
        NTL went in - came up - went down and a 10 day wait for an engineer. Was usually down 9AM t 10PM and up the rest of the night. Turns out my level was t o low by 12dB. (a lot). The guy has managed to remove a 6db attenuator in the street box so I am still t o low  ( still a lot ? 1/4 ?) but working at the moment - fingers crossed. The installers are supposed t measure this but they tend t flee if possible when it's wrong.
        BTW the tech people don't escalate the problems as they should - something in the system doesn't work - best t check with 151 that they have a fault log as well.
        But when it's up it's great !!

        I use Winroute Pro t share my connection - (WinRoute ordinary version would be fine too). Someone on the group recommended it and I downloaded the free trail. It works a treat although it costs. Microsoft ICS works ok as well (free) and Vicom Internet Gateway or Surf Doubler (www.vicomsoft.com). Only thing I've found with WinRoute is that if you use a Dynamic DNS servive t map a domain name (as you have t if you want incoming connections) then you can't actually test this is working easily. You need another unrelated internet connection as the NAT and port mapping messes it up. But have no worries WinRoute does exactly what it says on the webpage.

        Kevin

Well NTL called yesterday and installed the port for my cable modem, I connected it up last night did it work? did it buggery, after about 3 hours of phone calls they have t send someone out t check it. When? next Tuesday.

To the point, I need information on setting up a network between 4 PCs to allow shared access t the cable modem, can anyone recommend a source of info that doesn't get t o heavy.

Thanks

Alancc (still on a dial up)

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor