Extension cables available...

  • To: "Ukha_D@xxxxxxx Com" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Extension cables available...
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <timothy.morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 10:40:28 +0100

The SMA reverse thread connectors finally arrived this week so I've been able to make some extension cables to work with the Compaq WL100 wireless LAN PCI cards. I had to order 5 sets of connectors, and only need 2 for my own use.

I've ordered enough low loss RG223 co-ax to make up a further 3x2metre leads, so If anyone has need for them email me, and I'll let you have them at cost plus a couple of quid to help offset the cost of buying a 20 quid crimping tool.

Although I'm not 100% certain, I think these will work with the Compaq access points too. These are compatible with the old Intersil based cards, with the screw on rubber ducky antennae, not the new Lucent based ones. Performance is excellent. With the antenna in the same position a 2m cable only incurs a 0.5dB signal loss, which at 2.4GHz is tiny! (Attenuation is proportional to frequency, and the cable plus insertion loss from the connectors should theoretically give rise to a much higher loss).

I can now finally share my ADSL Internet connection with a PC 50 feet away, with the signal going through two outside walls! Bandwidth for local network access never drops below 11Mbits too :)

Tim

If anyone does have need for a coax crimping tool, the Maplin one for 20 quid is really good value. It has 4 dies on it allowing for cable sizes from tiny up to RG6, and an adjustable tension ratchet.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
www.debticated.com