RE: OTish: WAP Phones...

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: OTish: WAP Phones...
  • From: "Primoz Gabrijelcic" <gabr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 13:14:04 +0200

> Seconded, WAP is generally useless. You know the cellnet adverts all
> switched to 'cartoony' type 3d, with clean payments and nice high rise
> appartments?
> Thats the only world in which WAP works as advertised!

WAP is OK, it just doesn't work as advertised (they are trying to
"sell" it
to the wrong customer).

I'm using it on a regular basis to:
- read the news
- check sport results
- get the weather report
- check the road conditions
- check my bank account
- send an e-mail
- sometimes even to check the exchange rate or convert some measure from
metric to imperial and back
True, most of those tasks are more suitable for a PDA but I don't have one.

For wap to be useful, one has to be able to create a personalised WAP
portal
that allows you a quick access to information important to you. As WML is a
very simple cross of HTML and XML, this is quite a trivial task (my portal,
if anybody is interested, is at http://17slon.com/17wap).

Primoz