From: Henderson, Darren [mailto:Darren.Henderson@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2001 11:17 AM
To: 'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] OTish: WAP Phones...

> > I'm going to buy my wife a new mobile in the next few days,
> has anyone got
> > any recommendations of phones with WAP capability - I'll
> been looking at
> > the Nokia 7110 - anyone got experience of it???
>
> Nokia 7110 with latest firmware should be good choice. You should also
> consider Nokia 6510, Siemens x35 series (all models - C, M
> and S have Wap
> support), Ericsson 320 (and 520 although that one is most
> probably overkill)
> and newer Motorolas (sorry, don't know the model numbers).
> All have good WAP
> support.
>
> If you want to use the phone for other communication tasks
> (as a 9600 GSM
> modem to get your mail into your palm - for example), I'd
> suggest Siemens.
> It has integral modem that understands all ITU AT commands
> (standards GSM
> 07.05 and 05.05) and will therefor work with most standards-complying
> software. OTOH it should not be a problem to get similar
> software tailored
> for the Nokia.

I have an Ericsson R320s and I have to say Im mad keen to get a Nokia
again,
Probably a 6210. (I want WAP, IR, Built in Modem)

Reasons are small, like the menu system is so slow to use, On Nokia's you
get so used to it you can fly through the menus and do most things very
quickly cos it supports type ahead, the Ericsson doesn't, Very pretty menus
but terribly slow. The other main problem is the Aerial. First problem is
it's BIG, second problem is it is removable, and it seems to slightly
disconnect itself from the socket REGULARLY which results in very poor
Service pickup (Not surprisingly).

All in all a capable phone but after being used to Nokia's (All my previous
phones were) then it is just a tad cumbersome to use.

Siemen's are supposed to be a great phone, but I HATE the look of them
(Sorry).

So for me Nokia it is Im afraid.

Make sure (as above) it has a built in modem as it's so handy with PDA's
these days. And as for WAP, I've used it twice in a real environment(Many
times showing friends), and while it worked I probably would have been
quicker phoning someone for the information.

DArren

This email has been Virus Scanned.

Privileged/Confidential Information and/or Copyright Material may
be contained in this e-mail. The information and Material is
intended for the use of the intended addressee. If you are not
the intended addressee, or the person responsible for delivering
it to the intended addressee, you may not copy or deliver it to
anyone else or use it in any unauthorised manner. To do so is
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you receive this e-mail by
mistake, advise the sender immediately by using the reply
facility in your e-mail software.

Thank you.
Information Technology Department
Belfast City Hospital Trust