RE: Urgent question on AW10's

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Urgent question on AW10's
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennethwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 00:43:36 +0100

Basically, yes.

The three lives will control the switch for you zone 1, zone 2 and water so
if you intend to use relays I would advise three separate ones for each
heating zone. What you want to achieve is really very simple, a 12V to 240V
relay fired from a relay port on HV to switch the juice either on or off,
that is exactly what your timer switch does only it switches in 240V. your
relay will switch using a 12V feed from HV but will throw its contact to
switch the 240V supply to your heating system. The neutrals are not a worry
as they are all common (hence the sparks term "common" and
"live") so they
(neutrals/commons) can all be linked giving a permanent neutral feed to the
whole set up. The only bit you should/need to worry about is how the live
is
switched.

Given what you've told me you need three relays or AD10's, each one should
switch the live for each zone. The one wire you see coming into the mains
box is the common feed for the entire system, so you want to switch the
supplies beyond this point, i.e. where the wiring is in the time switch
itself. The easiest way is to look at the wiring on the back, inside of the
timer/switch as it should have a schematic of the internals from that it is
relatively easy to figure what goes where. If you have hassles mail me,
more
than happy to help.

Each zone is just a switch, like a wall switch only controlled and switched
by your timer so once you suss what is switching it's really easy to do.

Mains is not a problem, you just need to follow some basic rules and have a
meter to hand :o) anyway, a little jolt is good for the heart now and then,
at least that's what my boss used to tell me! Don't worry about
experimenting, particularly if you have an RCD unit, you really can't do
any
harm if you have one of those. Fused supplies are a bit more tricky if you
do the wrong thing, but still as long as your not holding an open live
&
neutral the worst you can do is pop a fuse.

K.