RE: "Home Automation" ... what's the point?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: "Home Automation" ... what's the point?
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennethwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 10:43:47 +0100

Graham,

Can you point me in the direction of the specs for building this type of kit like IR receivers and senders.

Ta

K.

Why not send all IR to Homevision as well as to the AV rack using a combination of home made receiver, transmitter and 'screw cap' mounted LEDs (all as per earlier discussions on this list) then also have another set of 'screw cap' mounted LEDs on the AV kit that are fed by the Homevision output. The AV kit will not respond to the macro command as only HV understands it, HV will not respond to the AV commands. It may even be possible to have a single set of 'screw cap' mounted LEDs on the AV rack fed by both HV output and home made transmitter output. If these LED's were taped onto the IR window on the kit with enough black tape then the kit would not receive any IR commands directly from the remote. Apart from the cost of any wiring you made need to install, the cost of the components for all of this will be much less than any of the professional solutions, and a complete and utter novice can make these things (I did and I am!).

Graham