RE: Re: Video Server

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Re: Video Server
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 23:38:16 +0100

Asus A7V - Good?

Hope so! - that's what I just ordered for my new main PC, but only with a
Duron 750 for now... :-( - gotta appease SWMBO a bit & try to keep
costs
down! (I'll overclock the 750 to 950 though....)

I think you're right about the clean install vs. upgrade though, - i
>do<
actually have 1 ME PC in the house, and it is pretty stable... (that was a
clean fresh install) - I had it on 3 other PC's that were upgrades from
98SE, and without exception it turned every one of those machines into a
pile of doo-doo.

- What do you mean about W2K having no support for games? - it includes
DirectX7 out of the box, and there is a DirectX8 upgrade specifically for
W2K as well....

Paul G.

>From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennethwatt@xxxxxxx>
>To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Re: Video Server
>Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 23:23:23 +0100
>
>Me is okay, some problems with my Athlon/Asus A7V combo though! Keep
>getting
>a non-responding MSGVR32 which is a pain in the t*ts but other than
that I
>have no real complaints with ME which, incidentally, I now run on four
>machines, definitely more stable than 98 or SE IMO but you must do a
full
>fresh install to the drive and not upgrade. Win 2K still better but no
>cigar
>and no support for games as such or some other little ditties that make
>life
>easier.
>
>But to the point, I run an Athlon 700 and an Athlon 1100 both perform
>excellently and I have no complaints at all about the processor and I
knock
>the sh1t out of 'em constantly, on thing though - get a 350W power
supply.
>Two 230W supplies so far and counting ;o)
>
>K.

They