Re: ADSL

On Monday 09 April 2001 11:41 am, you wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have decided to go for ADSL.
>
> I want to run my own servers, pay for a single pc option but hook up
my
> home LAN as i do with surftime using my linux based single floppy
router if
> possible.

Make sure the option you order is No-NAT. I had that problem with mine, and
couldn't host servers till they converted my box from a NAT to No-Nat
connection.

Also, I'm not sure about the state of Linux drivers for the Alcatel USB
"modem" that the basic 40quid/month option comes with. I think
they are
available from Alcatel's website. I had to go for a package that included a
router because they weren't available at the time.

I would also recommend you go for the new 2.4 kernal & use the
replacement
for ipchains to construct your firewall, it is much easier to set up port
forwarding with it. I would upgrade but the firewall is working and stable,
and my servers are live, so any downtime to upgrade would be bad.

> What's the recommendations of the gang ?

As for the firewall, to quote Rev. Lovejoy "take your pick, they're
all
good." Personally I use Debian 2.2 on an old 486 with 16meg or RAM
& a 400meg
HD. I use two generic NE2000 10baseT nic's in it (they were about 8 quid
each
from Dabs)

There is also the Linux Router Project that usually comes highly
recommended,
but I could never figure it out :-) That option requires no HD and is
easier
to secure.