RE: Relocating Projector

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Relocating Projector
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha.diyha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 21:15:24 +0100

Hi Alan,

Using mirrors is not a problem, its how most rear projection is done. However, your idea of a periscope will NOT work. I cant work out any exact number here but hopefully this will explain the process.

Imagine a single lens projector (for simplicity). The size of the lens may be 6"

To throw an 8 foot picture it will be positioned about 12 feet back. The image grows througout the projection length. Halfway to the screen, if you put a board up you would have a 4 foot picture.

I see what you are trying to do but you would need the first mirror a few inches from the projector and it would be about 12" across. The next mirror would be upto a couple of feet from the first and would need to be much larger. The angles would need to be accurately set. I would recommend trying a mockup with the projector on the floor of the lounge, with the screen area raised if neccessary, to test if the results would be acceptable before you hack a hole in the floor.

You may find that the second mirror will need to be quite large. This is not a problem for rear projection as it is hidden behind the screen but for front projection it could stick down lower than the projector itself would do.

HTH

Keith