RE: DDAR price has gone back up.....

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: DDAR price has gone back up.....
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <timothy.morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 03:36:15 +0100

He's wrong about the Customs amount - it is £18 if sent through the post or
£36 if imported personally - I've imported a LOT of stuff from the US over
the years, and I always get them (if I can) to mark the value at less than
$25.

That is why companies like DVDboxoffice can compete so well. If they ship
DVDs singly they just come in under the threshold, however if there are two
in the same package (still under the 40 quid your boss mentions) you'll get
stung for VAT *and* duty.

If you are going to pay duty then FedEx is by far the best way to import,
as
they pay the duty, clear the package through customs, deliver it, and bill
you later. The post office will take up to three weeks to clear it, and ask
for cash on the doorstep. UPS will clear it as per FedEx, but again they
won't hand over the parcel until you pay the customs bill. I've been stung
before where they delivered a parcel to me by mistake, and it took months
get the cash back from them!

Tim.

Tim.