Re: Re[2]: Lower Lower Price on DDAR

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Re[2]: Lower Lower Price on DDAR
  • From: Kevin Hawkins <tivo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 18:09:33 +0100

Title: Re: Re[2]: [ukha_d] Lower Lower Price on DDAR
In practice with the quantity of units you are likely to import C&E will view this as a commercial import. Having been in the US/UK computer import business previously when things go wrong they tend to go wrong big time - a mis-declaration causes weeks of holdups sometimes. A deliberate evasion I recommend is to be avoided. C&E are incredibly 'powered' people.

The duty on my imported ePods was reasonable Computer Hardware used to be 4.7% last time I was involved ( a couple of years back). VAT at 17.5% is more of course. There used to be no duty on software causing some companies to sometimes split the goods between hardware and software.

I think at £125 + shipping this is still great value and as long as the shipping is done correctly ( this is where most people get ripped off - NM charged me $85 !) I would hope we should be able to get them delivered for under an equivalent £ to $ price ie £149 - any discount from Dell would lower this. Generally speaking although Joe Public always winges at this $ to £ coversion it is a reality of the costs involved. I don't want to pre-empt whatever offer Graham comes up ( I for one am very grateful someone will organise this) with but my vote would be to declare the goods 'correctly' and take advantage of the great offer price from Dell. It is important to make sure that the goods are correctly described on the customs declaration to ensure that the correct tariff is levied at this end eg I suspect 'music players' are very different to computer hardware accessories. Sometimes these errors cost us 50%+ on duty, having to re-classify goods at this end to lower tariff headings always causes investigation an d delays.

My only other comment is that I would worry at some stage that someone will bulk buy all of Dells stock, we wouldn't want that to happen.

   Kevin