RE: Re[2]: Lower Lower Price on DDAR

  • To: "UKHA List \(E-mail\)" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re[2]: Lower Lower Price on DDAR
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 17:21:34 +0100

OK news so far, even for a quantity of over 30, neither Dell US nor Dell UK
are willing to ship these to the UK (no real surprise just thought it was
worth asking them again).

I have spoken to the guy in the US who bought mine for me before Christmas
and as long as funds are up front he is happy to do the ordering (he is
going to see if we can get a discount too).

I have also contacted the friend of mine who has a relative in the shipping
business, unfortunately the relative is no longer in the US, he is now in
Poland! However he may still be able to swing something for us as he still
works for the same company.

I will keep you all posted, but if anyone is desperate to get one then this
will not be the quickest route (though it should be the cheapest). Also we
would have to prepare ourselves for the possibility of being stung for
duty/VAT on top of my 115 quid estimate, I suppose that could add twenty
quid but I guess it would depend on the way it is shipped. In my experience
it is the shipper that has clobbered me with this bill (eg. about 35 quid
per ePOD) so we might avoid this by not using a standard shipper. Also in
my
experience the declared value is what really matters, so if we declare a
low
value we should get away with minimal charges (though we wouldn't be able
have a higher insurance limit).

If anyone has a better idea for the shipping then please let me know.

Regards

Graham