Fw: Dell Digital Audio Receiver

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Fw: Dell Digital Audio Receiver
  • From: "Mark McCall" <mark@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 10:01:50 +0100

Some interesting stuff in this...

M.

----- Original Message -----
Mark,  I really enjoyed your article on the Dell Digital Audio Receiver dated December 12, 2000.
Your review prompted me to purchase the unit on March 22, 2001.  I also have a large MP3 collection and I recently wired my home with cat5 network cable so I can take advantages of these new technologies.  I was previously using a laptop connected to my network to play MP3's through WinAmp and my home stereo system.  What a relief to find a dedicated hardware solution for MP3 playback.

I recently found another are review on the unit, I thought you might find it interesting:

As you probably know, the software shipped with the unit is not very good (from a programming design and flexibility standpoint).  Did you realize the DAR is Linux based?  Hopefully some Linux developers will tweak the code to make it much more customizable.

You also probably noticed that if your MP3's aren't properly tagged, most of the information the DAR could display is not available.  I have found a solution....  A program called Tag&Rename v1.9 can quickly take the name of MP3's and properly convert it to the ID tags.  This is really cool.  Check it out...

PS.  I don't want to upset you, but the price of the DAR has just been reduced to $149US.  I originally paid $219US, but they gave me a rebate today.

Still think it's a great product!

Paul Lawhead
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor