RE:

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE:
  • From: "Mark Hetherington" <markh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 10:54:08 +0100

There was a scene at the beginning with the spiders tracking and capturing a mouse although they played little role later on which was I guess a clue to the plot and demonstrating that the computer would actually hunt. To be honest the killer dishwasher was probably the worst item. The controller's use of static items to inflict damage - locking doors, messing with HVAC, the shower drowning, the garage door etc was far more likely and believable than a dishwasher with robot arm and carving knife playing Norman Bates.

But plot assassination aside, many things such as the Colour LCD touchpanels screens were very cool.

The "drinks machines". Coffee or alcohol on demand in the study and kitchen! And I could live with having my house cook for me even if it was a little insistent about making stuff that was good for me. Anything which removes the need for me to spend time doing something is a good thing. I assume had the film not become about the killer dishwasher, the controller would have made orders and accepted deliveries to keep the fridge stocked.

The tie in to the plumbing so that HELEN (the controller) cut could off water to any part of the house looked interesting. Could be very useful thing to have to automate isolation of leaky pipes and to cut off the water to outside taps when the temperature is likely to threaten the integrity of the plumbing. The shower automation is something I have actually considered trying but so far have not come up with a system that would be useful and not just a pain. I guess only voice control could really work for that situation.

Now if I can just find a stockist for some of those robot spider cleaning things...

Mark.